InstantForum.NET v3.4
Home
Login Register Member List
Old Forums - READ ONLY   » Lava Dome University   » Defense Against the Dark Arts   » Macro Rampages in a Realistic ...  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Macro Rampages in a Realistic Context. Unfinished
Author

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Active: 6/21/2007

Too frequetly have I come across macro stories where the giants are so unrealistically powerful and durrable that they are able to defeat entire armies, civilisation and even planetary empires

While it's perfectly acceptable that pre-modern era weapons and armies will have little to no chance of success, what ticks me off is that present day if not futuristic militaries still manage to fail., so as of now I am providing a means of fighting back to safegaurd the dignity of the 'little ones'

A rampage macro, (one that is able to do any real damage) would range from 50ft and over. however almost too frequently such macros are absurdly strong, able to take punishment that would quite literally flatten the city around them for them.

that being said, the macro I will use as my example will be a typical giant anthrowolf, 70ft tall. (well over 10 times taller than an anverage 'little')

So.   we have a macro, rustling through a city, trampling people and cars alike. it's attacking a vital asset of a nation. you'd expect the local military to be mobilisedin under an hour, and the nation to be in full alert in a day.

the initial attack for would likely consist of attack helicopters, strike fighters and missile artillary. Any general who would send close combat units would be leading lambs to the slaughter.

now note, the standard attack helicopter in most nation's arsenals would be either the AH64 (and it's derivatives classes ie: longbow), AH1, EuroTiger, Mi24, Mi28 and if it's Russia, the KA series.  now these vehicles are by them selves, highly capable strike platforms, each able to deliver a range of powerful weapons. Now I frequently hear that helicopers are easy to bring down. They are not. especially when any sane pilot would keep a healthy 5km minimum distance from the macro. The guns on helicopters being ineffective against most macros is within realms of balance. but when long range guided, antiArmour missiles are used and the macro doesn't so much as flintch, that makes things abit sus.  If in anycase a barrage of hellfires decends upon a macro, it would have to either duck out of the way or seariously get bruised up.

Strike fighters. underestimate them, though they're built for speed and agility, their weapons are devastating. The majority of the time I read when fighters are used, the macro somehow hits them by throwing stuff. This is neigh impossible in any sense, considering a strike fighter will undoubtedly employ BVR (beyond visual range) tactics, the macro will not even see the planes much less than snatch at them or try and take potshots at them with debris. the macro will only see the missile/guided bombs flying twards itself. which brings me to another point, if in an event a macro was to be hit by a guided bomb, (which are designed to blast bunkers and disect hard targets) it would definately draw blood, and possibly broken bones it would be like a large firecracker exploding on your chest.

And heres the worst of it, If, If not these measures were able to top the macro, the littleswould most likely escelate their agression. using resticted weapons.

Cluster bombs, Though not particularly effective in the sense it will kill a macro outright it will deal considerably more damage, since the bomblets have a chance to get into tight crevaces ie: ears, nostrils and in between the toes.

Mustard Gas, Will burn axphixiate the macro if inhaled and will poison it if it manages to make contact with exposed skin, despite macro having increased bodymass, the toxin will still cause severe burns.

Sarin gas, a nerve gas if inhaled, kills near instantly. highly effective if the macro breaths. doesn't nessesarly have to be used in qauntity either, a simple clusterbomb can deliver roughly 30lts of liquified nerve gas over a very wide area.

Napalm, Can be used in massive quantities since the stuff doesn't leave behind any hazards, a macro, if caught on fire with this, will be forced to retreat and run for the nearest source of water. and thats If white phosporus isn't used.

Depleted uranium ammunition, not only will this penetrate the toughest hides, it will cause radiation poisoning. fired from oh, say a GAU-8, the damage inflicted could easily peirce even the toughest armored scalie macros let alone a furred one.

Nuclear bunkerbusters, could potentially blast a hole in the macro's skull if they are unlucky enough to be struck by one there.. Highly penetrating and very lethal.

SRBMs and cruise missiles: at high enough speeds (2500km/h) they can easily peirce a macro's body like a spear tip.

Biological Weapons ie Anthrax, unless this macro is a 100ft tall robot, it can get ill.

Fuel-Air bomb, MOABs and other kind of massive conventional weapons, would be like a concussion grenade to a normal person. Not lethal at several armlenghts, but will cause perminant deafness, cracked ribs, blindness and possibly brain damage. but if a macro was to be hit by one of these, sure as hell, it's be quite dead or dying.

but what if the macro was just so resolute to stand its ground and continue to cause damage?. some macros go as far as to 'declare war' on civilisation. a Big NoNo.

if a nation gets desparate enough, it will call upon it's allies and the UN to aid them. thus bringing the macro into a global conflict. When this happens, all the rules go out the window.

Neutron Bombs

Hydrogen Bombs

Massive Aerial assualt

Massive Ballistic Missile bombardment

Nuclear Suppression

now I don't know any macro that could physically survive such an attack, but take it as it somehow Magically avoided being engulfed in a 40km diameter fireball several times over and avoided being pulverised by the endless barrage of munitions. and Still is able to keep on stompin, Then we get creative. Now the weapons mentioned don't exist and are quite fictional but are nearly surefire methods of killing macroes, no matter how tough they are. (this shiet works quite nicly against DBZ style characters too)

Deconstructive nanite weapon

artificial Singularity

Orbital bombardment

massive underground detonation (hence creating a crater trapping the creature)

local atmospheric deprivation weapon

so.. by now, the macro would be either Obliterated,fleeing or begging for diplomacy, and if it Still somehow survives to romp and stomp, it's time to throw in the towel,

Blow up the planet,

and Call the macro player a Haxxor

So says the man with the duct-taped mouse
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 5/10/2007 2:16 PM

Forum Moderator
Supreme Being

Active: 4/16/2008
*snickers*

Yesss... some macros are definitely powergaming, and often in a rather annoying and often totally unnecessary way as I find. I really prefer things that stay in a graspable and reasonable setting. Same reason I always found superman totally boring. Oh, bullets cant kill him. Ok, we shoot the eye, but no, the bullet deforms on the hard suface. Sure. And when one tries to cut his hair off the scissors break. Sure. No matter how he ever focuses with an eyeball of solid steel, let alone gets a haircut. And then he can fly, and see through everything, and hear everything, and walk through everything, and lift everything, and shoot lasers from his eyes, and... bah. How lame.
Same goes for some macros, especially in stories. True. Like, that fucking HUGE dragon that can easily outfly AND outmaneuver a jet fighter because he is... bigger. Yeah.
Now macros itself are of course a thing that simply doesnt work, for a lot of reasons. I happily overlook most of that minor problems, like one should, especially when the size stays within reason, because we all like macros. And dragons CAN fly becase they are dragons. They can just fly by definition and that is good for it would be uncool when they couldnt. Totally agreed. ( SilverClaw puts it into nice words by saying that he has diplomatic immunity against the laws of physics. And from him I take that as the truth. )

So... there will always be weird things that macros do, just like other characters that are supposed to be overly powerful, some of which just have to be overlooked or there wouldnt be any macros.
But yes, I bail out when it becomes totally stupid powergaming of folks that dont seem to even think about what they write / scene there. When some very simple basics workings of the world are just ignored, a scene loses all thrill for me very quickly.

-------------------------------
Blue anthroraptor, Iconeer
Resident anthrosaur

(Linking the Faibanx muck map here hoping that helps google find it properly: http://download.lavadomefive.com/members/blue/map/main.html )
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 5/10/2007 3:16 PM
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 6/9/2007

Hmm...you're calling out my 30% sadistic side there, heh--and the last option is too broad (when it's just the nation to the world).

This seems to be funny, but what if it talks/socializes/communicates? What's your bias?

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 1 - 3 messages found
« Next Oldest