InstantForum.NET v3.4
Home
Login Register Member List
Old Forums - READ ONLY   » Lava Dome University   » Physics   » Time travel and Paradoxology  

Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Time travel and Paradoxology
Author

Group: Forum Members
Active: 4/2/2006

Time travel is, of course, inhenrently as sticky a dragonette left unattended in a treacle tart factory!

A good Time travel story that happens to have dinosaurs too is Michael Swanwick's Bones of the Earth.

One idea I like is that essentially you can't change the recorded history nomatter what you do. Any changes you make in the past will go to create the present you come from anyway. (I remember one fun storry that sugested the reason so many sauropod skeletons have the head missing is because of time traveling big game hunters from the future keep smugling them home!)

If you tried to assasinate Hitler say, you'd fail. Because it hasn't happened. Either you'd get caught or be killed by a bombing raid or any of a number of unrecorded events.

This means it's much safer to visit the mesozoic than have dinner with Julius Caeser!  This is because any place you go where history exists you've got to be careful not to get caught out by it. where no history exists you've got more options left open to you.

This is the "rule of fate" idea. There's no real proof of this over any other theory but it does help shove the most of the whole paradoxology issue under the matt before it induces a migraine!

Quantum theory provides another interesting model. In a universe of possibilities history it's self exists as a mass of quantum probabilities with our observed history the "reality" we live in. Traveling back in time you could in theory do anything and it wouldn't change the future you came from as you'd simply be co-existing in another probability state in time while the history you remember runs as before somewhere else.

Quantum theory is fun, but can be rather odd....

Bronzewing; If you can't eat them, join them.

"It thinks we're either a threat, food or a mate - it's gonna either kill us, eat us or hump us."
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/10/2004 2:30 PM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 7/4/2007
I heard a theory or read a theory or whatever in a book once.

If you took a cylinder and spun it at half the speed of light or more, and skipped an object at just the right angle, you could go/send an object forward or backward in time, depending on which way the cylinder was spinning. However, the catch is that you could only go as far backward as the time the cylinder was created, and as far forward as when the cylinder was destroyed. XP Doesn't leave much free room, does it?

------------------------------------------------------------
Timanth - Martial Arts Teacher
Resident dragonmorph
Timanth - Fame:0 Karma:0
+10 Points for Guessing Right on Ahastar's Pic!
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/12/2004 3:34 PM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 6/18/2018

Now, see...I knew you were gonna bring up some thing about time travel I didn't agree with.    Of course, my opinion is just an opinion, and it's as plausible as most others, but...I dunno.   I just have my own theory about how stuff like that works which kinda refutes your statement, so here it is. 

At any given point in time (it's irrelevant for the point of this discussion whether time has a beginning or end), there are an infinite number of possibilities, or at least I think so.  My belief about the way spacetime works is that you can only deal with probabilities, not absolute certainties, and that nothing is 100% preordained.  So, given that there are an infinite number of possibilities, for each of those possibilities there are an infinite number of universes.  Let's say you were able to develop a device that would remove yourself, or a section of matter, or a time bubble or however you want to put it...let's say you were able to remove yourself from your particular universe.

My theory is that it would be impossible for you to return to that particular universe.  Any changes you're making in the infinity of past universes will, by default, not affect anything you do. 

This way of thinking solves most of the paradoxes you can think of.  You can't kill yourself, or prevent yourself from existing.  You can go back and meet 'yourself' as many times as you want, because it's not really you and it wouldn't do any good.  It does, however, mean that from the point you decide to go running amok in time, there is no more future 'you'.  You can travel to 50,000 AD and try to stop in the exact same place and time as many times as you want, but you'll never meet yourself.  There's an infinite number of futures to land in, and you couldn't possibly land in the same one twice.

Hrm...never thought of this particular point before...that there's no more future 'you.'  Wow...actually, that's pretty mindblowing.  Let's say someone invented a time machine.  He'd go off in it...and never return.  Ever.  There would be absolutely no way to prove that time travel is possible, and there would be absolutely no evidence of time travel.  But I wonder...because of the whole infinity thing...is that true?  I mean, would it, in actuality, be impossible to **** around with time, because you could never have a lasting effect?  Damn concept of infinity!

Any of this make any sense to anyone?  It's almost like tuning in a radio station with an analog tuner.  You can try and get nearest the "frequency" of your original universe as you like, but you'll never get to precisely the same one twice.  This also means, however, that you can tune way off your original "frequency" and come into some pretty ****ed up universes. 

-------------------------------
Dinosorceror, Administrator
Lava Dome Five Enterprises

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/12/2004 3:38 PM

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Active: 6/18/2018

To respond to Timanth now:  Well, that whole physical method of travelling through time never sat well with me.  I'm certainly no expert on the theory of relativity and its implications, but the whole speed-of-light thing seems goofy to me.  I mean, what's the deal with the sun, then?  There's as many particles/waves of light travelling towards us as there are travelling away from us on the opposite side of the sun.  So if you relate those two speeds, what the hell do you get?  Shouldn't the two particles/waves be travelling at twice the speed of light relative to each other?  I dunno, I'm sure there's some weird relativistic answer.

Or maybe the answer is that light is time. 

-------------------------------
Dinosorceror, Administrator
Lava Dome Five Enterprises

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/20/2004 6:12 AM

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Active: 3/1/2005
Space-Time is curved.... So curved it bends in on itself.... This is my theory & i'm sticking to it

Think of it as a ball of string, evey point in time touches every other point in time, so all one would have to do is move sideways in space-time & presto you're in 1940 Germany or 1963 Dallas....

Any changes you make while in those times don't effect your future / present / whatever have you, is due to Bell's therum of mulitple realities....

Bell's therum is that for every chioce you make there are a minimun of 8 possible outcomes, thereby making a minimum of 8 possible realities....

He also stated that the maximum of possible outcomes could be infinite, thereby making a maximum of infinte possible realities....

Isn't Quantum Mechanics fun ?

For my next trick i'll stick a cat named Shrodinger into a box w/ radio-active isatopes....

Woulfe
* Watches Way Too Much Sci-Fi & Understands Quantum Machanics Too *

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 7/21/2004 8:18 AM

Active: 4/2/2006

With regard to Dino's reply I think that what I mentioned about Quantum time as existing as a sea of possibilities covers your view on time travel. Your ever read a book called Corrupting Dr Nice?

That's a good, and amusing book that deals with the possibilities of infinite parallel history probabilities and the ability to travel through them.

Quantum theory does remove some seriously confusing paradoxes, but the only problem is the fact that in this interpretation Causality completely falls apart. An action no longer necessarily leads to an effect. This makes for a very free environment, but does make life confusing.

Of cause Relativity tells us the simplest way to travel back in time is to travel faster than the speed of light. trouble is as you accelerate some thing it's length gets shorter and it's mass get's bigger.

At light speed a physical object would have infinite mass, and zero length. Quite how you'd attain greater than infinite mass and negative length (Which you would have to do to go faster) is the problem.

Bronzewing. "I wasn't SINGING! It was bonking me on the head with a stick!"

"It thinks we're either a threat, food or a mate - it's gonna either kill us, eat us or hump us."
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 8/9/2004 5:53 AM
Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 9/4/2007
If i could Time travel!, ill go to the dino Age!,
It will be cool to see what the dinos where relly like back then!!

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 8/17/2004 10:52 PM

Active: 5/12/2005
I'm lost when it comes to exactly what this site is for but I do have a theory. I belive that you cannot travle forward in time only backward. This is because time is a constant and you can't "wright" time only experiance it. so if something already happend it is in time but if something hasn't happend (in this universe) you can't experiance it. this means that if you attempt to go forward in time you might end up in some sort of null.The strongest mind is the open mind.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 1/21/2005 5:43 PM

Active: 4/18/2006
Time travel is a very odd subject to really argue about since we still know so little about our our universe as it is. Skipping ahead to thinking about bending time and space is difficult to retain any facts of any kind since the science is still so young. Also, if time-travel is invented in the future, then someone might have come into the past. Unless they have limited abilities or are smart enough to hide themsleves, we would have met some. Yet, some time travel to dinosaur age would kick ass.
Drako

IP Logged
This member is offline.
Posted 3/26/2005 4:12 PM

Supreme Being
Supreme Being

Active: 3/2/2007
My two cents for the discussion:

Years of discussion about the plausibility of Time Travel, and how would they be if that were possible at all. Physicians have discussed that for a very long time. No experiment ever has proven that Time Travel can even be possible, and nothing (not even an atom) has been sent to past yet.

The only thing I have to say is:
Where is it written that Past Exists?. It exists in our minds because it is part of the present, the Past which "exists" is what we still have of it. But who said that there's "something there behind" after "Time" advances?.

What if everything is just like an empty book, a pencil and an eraser?.
Future is about to be written.
Present is being writed...
Past was already erased...

Soulice Pentalis.
-------------------------------------
PICO, WEA, TETA.
IP Logged
This member is offline.
Showing page 1 of 1 - 10 messages found
« Next Oldest :: Next Newest »